In the 17th century the records of Szabolcs County had been preserved in the castle of Kisvárda, and then the documents were kept in the county hall of Nagykálló. The Archives was taken to Nyíregyháza in 1893. The archive of Szatmár County was located originally in Nagykároly. Szabolcs County was united with Szatmár-Bereg County in 1950. The history of the core of the records housed in the Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County Archives can be traced back to the unification of the archives of the said counties. The centre of the institution is situated in Nyíregyháza, the repository in Nyírtelek-Varjúlapos houses the records concerned with the economic bodies and associations, as well as the councils of the districts and settlements. The archival documents regarding the historical Szatmár County are located currently partly in Kolozsvár and Szatmárnémeti (Rumania) and in Nyíregyháza. The records of Bereg County created before 1918 are kept now in Beregszász and Ungvár. Among the documentation of the historical Ung, Ugocsa and Bereg Counties the records belonging mainly to the period 1919-1923. In order to reveal and explore these documents remained out of the borders of Hungary, the Archives has been building connections for the last fifteen years with the archives of the neighbouring counties which preserves the records of Szatmár and Bereg Counties [comitat].
Among the 7500 linear meters of records housed in the HNA Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County Archives, the complete series of the minutes created by the General Assembly of Szabolcs County dated 1550-1848 can be highlighted, which are supplemented by the files of the administration and the judiciary. The series of the minutes of the Genaral Assembly of Szatmár County created 1593-1848 are relatively complete as well.
Concerning the documents of the late modern period the files of the county administration are available, but the records created by the authorities of the districts are incomplete. From the aspect of the urban history, notable documents are the records written in Slovakian, Hungarian or Latin of Nyíregyháza as a market town dated from the settlement committed in 1753.
The judicial documents as well as the records belonging to the specialized agencies of local administration are incomplete. The collections of the Archives contain about 700 maps and 60 diplomas created before the battle of Mohács (1526).
The records of the Archives are expanding not just through receiving administrative documents, but by purchasing and gifting. Thus, the administrative documents are supplemented with plentiful family and personal fonds.
The special library of the Archives (not open for the general public) holding 20000 books aids the activity of the visiting researchers. The library collects mainly materials concerned with local history.
Several subseries have been already published under the main title Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg Megyei Levéltár kiadványai [Publications of the Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County Archives]. In case of the Évkönyvek [Yearbooks], launched in 1979, 20 issues, while 17 numbers of the Tanulmányok [Studies], 6 of the Füzetek [Issues] and 3 of the Segédletek [Guides] have been issued. The Archives endeavours to make available its records to wide range of readers not only by the printed sources but through the online databases as well. Thus the manuscript and cadastral maps are researchable, moreover large collections of sources regarding the history of Nyíregyháza in the dualistic era and conscriptions of Szabolcs County are available through the thematic databases of the Archives’ website.
The Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County Archives plays a crucial role in the public education of the county. By the Múltról mindenkinek [About the Past for Everyone] events the Archives offers program for the audience. The International Archival Days festival (the 20th was organized in 2013) takes place in every autumn with the participation of the Hungarian archives and those ones located in the countries neighbouring Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County.
Address: 4400 Nyíregyháza, Széchenyi u. 4.
Postal address: 4401 Nyíregyháza, Pf. 187.
Telephone: +36 42 414 313, +36 70 490 6044
Fax: +36 42 414 313
Illustrated introduction of the Archives is available: link