HU | EN | DE

The Hungarian National Archives Heves County Archives

The Hungarian National Archives was created from the legally unified Archives of Heves County and Külső-Szolnok County. The Archives has been operating in one building complex since 1989. The core stock of the Archives is the unified Archives of Heves and Külső-Szolnok Counties. In other words, there are records in the Archives from the Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County during the period from 1569 to 1876. The County’s administrative and juridical minutes and records are only remained from the second half of the 17th century, because the earlier documents were destroyed by fires. This is also true in case of two significant cities, Eger and Gyöngyös. The fonds of the settlements are available from 1867, but most of them are very fragmented until 1950. However, later on the Town Council documents are well-preserved. The documents of Eger Court copyhold estates (1767-1944) are a prime example from the field of jurisdiction. In several cases the socage regulation of the Maria Theresa-era can be found in this Archives as well as the land registration documents of the Absolutism. The Eger Chapter – as loca credibilia – operated continuously from the 13th century through the Ottoman Era and therefore the Archives owns 996 charters that were written before the Battle of Mohács (1526). The Archives also has several collections of handmade maps. The Archives preserves, as a deposit [depositum], the documents made before 1945, the Eger Archdiocese economic archive, the Cathedral chapter private and economic archives. For these reasons, the Archives is a significant research center in the North-Eastern Hungary region, which formerly consisted of 12 counties. The Archival Act, accepted in 1950, extended the competence of the County Archives. The Eger Financial Directory, the Eger Forest Inspectorate, the Eger Forestry, the Eger Construction Office, and the County School Inspectorate have a huge collection of documents. The Archives preserves significant school and institutional records. Of these documents we can highlight the records of the Eger Archbishop Law School [Collegium Juridicium], the Eger Archbishop Roman Catholic Teacher Training College and Boys’ Lyceum and its Elementary School, the English Religious Sisters Archbishop Roman Catholic Teacher Training College and Girls’ Lyceum, and the Gyöngyös State István Koháry Secondary Grammar School. The important fonds of the establishment are the documents of the guilds and corporations and the Besenyőtelek nobility’s commoner [compossessoratus]. The fonds of the economic bodies consist of the documents of the dominant industrial corporations, the credit institutions and the banks. Approximately 400 documents of the farmer’s cooperatives can be studied in the fonds of cooperatives. The records, created before the political transition (1989), of the county archives of the Hungarian Socialist Worker’s Party (MSZMP) are also part of the Archives and can be regarded as valuable sources of the Modern Period. The Heves County Archives has been releasing publications since 1979. Since then 20 volumes and 1 supplement have been published. The Tanulmányok Heves megye történetéből [Studies on the History of Heves County] has had 16 volumes since its launch in 1973. The Heves Megyei Levéltár segédletei [The Supplements of Heves County Archives] have been published since 1974. As a result, 11 volumes have been published. Another publication called Heves Megyei Levéltár forráskiadványai [Published Sources of the Heves County Archives] have published 14 volumes since 1981. Besides, the Archives also publishes independent volumes.


Further Information

Address: 3300 Eger, Mátyás Király út 62.
Telephone: (36) 320–144, 517–343 (director)
Fax: (36) 517–342
Email: hevesarchiv@hevesarchiv.hu
Website: www.hevesarchiv.hu