The congregation was organized by Evangelical Pastor Simon Gerengel. He was invited to Sopron by the town council in 1565. In the beginning the town council administered the matters of the congregation; later, during the 17th century Counter-Reformation, when some restrictions were introduced, the congregation established its own governing body, the church council, which was called consistory and later convent. In 1674 the congregation lost its churches, schools and all of it property but it could continue its religious practice to some degree. Its wooden church, standing in the courtyard of a private house, was burnt down in 1676. After the Edict of Tolerance by Joseph II, ecclesiastical life was renewed in the Sopron congregation. The church was built, which has been used until now; the population significantly increased and in the 19th century the rich congregation established and operated several useful, flourishing institutions (orphanage, schools and different societies).
The archives were carefully preserved, the archival material from 1533 onwards all in all exceeds the 100 running metres. Mátyás Ulber secondary school teacher, the first archivist of the collection was the first to arrange the material between 1861 and 1875. He divided the records into six groups according to subject matter (I Exercise of religion, II Education, III Foundations, IV Orphans, V Financial affairs, VI Districtual matters) and gave serial numbers to the records in chronological order. A register at item level was added.
In the 20th century a major rearrangement of the material took place, it was completed by Gábor Gyapay in the 1950s. He used the arrangement system introduced by Uber as a basis. He arranged the archival material, which had been divided into dossiers and volumes, into 1399 titles and prepared the summary inventory and the shelf list of the archives. In 1958 a register of the files was prepared at item level, it is used as archival aid.
The most important sources are the convent and presbytery protocols. There are a lot of records of a financial nature, concerning the congregation’s budget as well as committee and foundation documents. Much care was taken on the education, so the educational records are of great value. The congregation maintained numerous institutions and societies (e.g. orphanage, deaconess association, youth and women’s association, etc.); their fragmentary material was taken in by the archives, too. The material of pastors and eminent clergymen can be found here as well. The archives preserve the fragmentary archival material of the former Upper-Sopron Diocese, the Transdanubian Evangelical Church District and the Diocese of Győr-Sopron County. The registers held in the archives deserve special attention: birth registers are extant from 1624, marriage registers from 1645 and death registers from 1676.
Address: 9400 Sopron, Templom u. 12.
Phone: (99) 324-651
Fax: (99) 324-651